Monday, January 9, 2017

Game Night

Image result for cardsIn keeping with the whole "don't wait- do it now" theme, some friends and Mike and I have committed to spending one night a month getting together for a home-cooked meal and games.  When Mike and I built our home, we had in mind dreams of entertaining and hosting friends and family.  We are thrilled to have it happen more often, starting this Friday.  Thought it would be fun to share a recipe each month with all of you, who I hope are finding more time to spend with your family and loved ones.



I am in the midst of menu planning for the kick-off!  So far, I am thinking:

Appetizers
Cantaloupe
Deep Fried Tortellini
Tomatoes Provençal                      

Main Course
Italian Salad
Steamed Broccoli
Chicken Parmesan
Garlic Bread

Dessert 
Cheesecake Truffles

We received an Amazon Echo Dot for Christmas, and I can't tell you how much I looooove it!  I just read out the ingredients needed and tell Alexa (the dot) to add it to my grocery list!  She does, and then she sends the list to my cell phone so I have it with me at the grocery.  I also have a to- do list for making the dinner, and she will set all the timers for me.  She even has dinner music to play that night!  I am so happy about this new little hockey puck that sits on my kitchen counter!

Here is my version of Tomatoes Provençal (keep in mind I don't have an nth of Italian or French ancestry!)

I like these as little bite sized flavor pops.  Instead of the traditional plum or larger tomatoes, I like to use cherry tomatoes. 

Mix the following 4 ingredients:


2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic , minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground lemon pepper

24 cherry tomatoes , halved

1/4 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil 

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Place tomatoes, cut side up, in a large baking dish; sprinkle tops evenly with parsley mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs over tomatoes; drizzle with oil.

Bake tomatoes until tender, about 18-20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. Broil tomatoes, 4 inches from heat, until topping is golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. 

I hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

What a fun idea!

Jeanie said...

Kari, these sound delicious and I love the idea of using the cherry tomatoes -- they're more like a healthy appetizer than a meal and fancier for a healthy appetizer than carrot and celery sticks! Plus, you can up it if you want the larger ones. I've made a version of the larger ones before (adding Parm cheese) but I think I'm going to try this next time. Thanks for the great idea and recipe.

(And it sounds like a fun plan!)

Tonya said...

Yummy